Monday, March 8, 2010

Frustrated Mom

I have had a very frustrating week with Doctors. I am not a person who likes to go to the doctor and I try to keep from taking my child for every little thing. Half the time we go to the pediatrician we come out with more than what we went in with! Em has been sick off and on for the past week. We came home from a trip and she was having large amounts of diarrhea. Because of it's frequency and lack of other symptoms, I called to get a appointment with her pediatrician. I was told they were not making same day appointments but I could talk to a nurse. The nurse put me off like I was a uneducated worried mother who was taking up her precious time and did not take me seriously. I was told if she did not get better to bring her in. She seemed to get better and now here we go again. It has started all over again! I was dismissed by her doctor for my concern and what I thought it could possibly be. I am tried of being treated like a mother who overreacts when they don't even bother to look at my record to see that we never come to the doctor. REGARDLESS I think that they should take the time to listen and take care of the children they have in the practice. If the practice is too large, then STOP accepting new patients. Now I am wondering if I should change pediatricians, the only problem is that there are very few in this area who are worth taking your child to. I guess I am just a frustrated mom.

2 comments:

Tricia said...

Find a doctor that works for your family. It is worth the hassle. :)

Carrie said...

If you aren't happy with them, then change. You wouldn't want this kind of treatment if something were critically wrong and needed serious attention.
Although I have to say that Katie had that problem pretty regularly when she was little. Cut out all the dairy products. One time my pediatrician told me that constipation can actually cause it, which doesn't seem to make sense unless you really think about it a long time.....
anyway...anytime we have that issue around here, cutting out ALL sugar and dairy seems to take care of it. With the exception of yogurt. Yogurt usually has an instant soothing affect with tummy bugs and other issues, but get the good stuff not the sugary kids junk they try to call yogurt. You might also want to consider picking up some "gummy fish" the omega/fish oil vitamins for kids...it really helps mine stay "regular."
Hope she gets better soon!