Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Angels Among Us

This evening the song, "I believe there are angel among us, sent down to us from somewhere up above..." has been playing through my mind. My day started out in toddler disaster. I overslept. My daughter on the other hand did not. There was a lovely mess to greet me for which I could not really complain. She had really been good just creative in meeting her own needs so "Mommy could sleep." I most note that I usually do not over sleep but this cold that I have been battling is about to win! Onward went the day...my help for watching Emily cancelled...she refused to stay with her cousins...must drive two hours to the nearest base with a toddler who is also sick. Get to base...toddler has diarrhea...NO WIPES IN CAR...clean with wash cloth and bottle of water...throw everything away! I proceed into the ID office to find they have closed for the day due to computer problems. At this point I am ready to sit down and just cry! Ahead of my, also reading the sign, is a black lady who I would guess to be in her late 50s. As we discuss the situation, she notices that I am near tears. I explained that I had a doctor's appointment tomorrow and had to get a new ID. I was going through my first deployment and was quite lost as what to do after driving this far. "Well,," she exclaims, "we are going to do something about this, we are going to the navy side. I don't know where the office is but we will find out!" After a phone call to the NAS the lady informs me they are closed, that they only stay open till 3:30. Gullible me who did not know the time said ok. When I told this wonderful woman said, "well, it is only 3, so they are not closed yet! Come on, follow me and we will get this fixed." We made it to the ID place before closing! Both of us got our IDs fixed and I learned a surprising fact. This lovely lady was 75 years old. You would have never known. She hugged me bye, and told me to "keep the faith." She told me to be thankful that I had a husband. Hers had worked there for 30 years before he passed away. I only wish I had gotten her name and number! I also wish that I had taken her picture for this post but I guess an angel's picture would never show up. And I suppose that an angel would never reveal heavens address. I truly believe that I met and angel today. She was my 75 year old angel who I will always be thankful for the act of friendship she bestowed upon me!

3 comments:

Andysbethy said...

Oh, I love that story! Those angels among us are always so amazing. I am glad you got your ID as needed, and you can go to the Doc.

Carrie said...

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! So sweet!

autumnesf said...

LOVE that generation of military/dependents. They know how to get things done and just have a gentler spirit than we generally see today. What an angel indeed! Maybe you will run into her again some day.