Monday, February 15, 2010

A step out

It is tough when the Lord wants us to step out of our comfort zones in order to serve him. I have been struggling for weeks with the fact that I knew God wanted me to take a step of faith and try present an opportunity for the young women of our church to grown closer in fellowship. How would I do this? I am a friendly enough person but I am not that outgoing in a crowd. I don't like to speak in front of people and by no means am I someone with great spiritual leadership. Being new to the area (in this town if you haven't lived here for 30 years your new) and church, was I really the right person for this job? I wanted to tell the Lord, "uhm...I think you have the wrong person...I'm the one that does the dishes on Wednesday nights remember!" Through various ways, the Lord lead me to the idea of a book club. A chance to read christian literature and then get together and discuss the book. This felt a little bit safer because I'm an avid reader. I finally became brave enough to send an email. Now I would be safe, I would feel free of the burden and no one would even respond. Wrong! So far I have had three women email me to say they are all for the idea. An additional two other women, who I had already talked over the idea before sending the email, had already given the thumbs up for their attendance. Now I'm really stepping way out of my comfort zone! I've got to actually lead this thing! I'm the person who sits in the back corner and hurries out afterwards. Now I have 5 interested women and, oh boy, I had better sit down. I beginning to think I should have entitled this a leap of faith. Now what book do I go with to interest so far 5 different women......

5 comments:

autumnesf said...

Good for you! I'd love to be in a book club myself!

And this might sound a little strange, but if you can get your hands on the book "The Mother Daughter Book Club" its about just that. I mention it because of the idea's they have to do with the kids...which can translate to adults and might give you some fun, yet easy ideals.

Good luck! I know you will do great and have a fab time!

Tricia said...

I'm with Autumn on this one. When we did a book club, each person got the chance to pick a book. You would have to do the first one, but from there, you guys could just take turns choosing and leading. Enjoy! I am so jealous. I wish I lived near you!

Daddy's2girls said...

Thanks for the ideas! That would be perfect for each member to pick a book that way everyone would get a chance to express the literature they like! Cross your fingers cause I got another person say they wanted to join, who knew!

Andysbethy said...

Have you talked to Carrie? She leads a book club all the time at her church. They have done some great ones. I know she will be full of ideas for you.

Carrie said...

That is awesome!!!! I like the idea of taking turns picking books..I may have to venture into doing that!
Don't worry and don't stress...God obviously has His hand in this, and He will take care of the details!